It’s fall, y’all! Football is here, and I am awaiting some fall leaves. I miss living in Germany and Virginia this time of year. There is a crisp in the air and the leaves are turning and falling. It makes me crave chili! Unfortunately, it’s still 90 degrees where I live but I still love the flavors of fall and the sound of Auburn playing on the TV. It’s soothing to my soul. This chili is also soothing and so easy! I didn’t add a bunch of complicated twists to it. I kept it simple and kept the classic ingredients. Chili is such a hearty meal and you can add so many different kinds of toppings, like avocado, cheese, crushed corn chips, sour cream, and I have even added cornbread.
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Brown ground beef in a large pot on medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and drain excess grease.
- Return to heat and add diced onion & garlic.
- Saute to fragrant and translucent.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and spices.
- Simmer on the stove on medium low for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with desired sides: avocado, corn chips, cornbread, sour cream, and/or cheese.
Chili also is great to serve a crowd. It’s so easy to double and take to a get together. Speaking of which, when is the last time you got together with some friends or family? I think we get so busy this time of year, many of us disconnect from them. To share a meal and a little time with friends and family is good for the body and soul. Do you have any fall favorites? I love this Roasted Carrot and Turmeric Soup. I can’t wait to share my Roasted German Pumpkin Soup!
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!
[…] Betsy Ramirez at Betsy’s Kitchen has whipped up this Easy Classic Chili using beef and beans in one pot! This is perfect for those crisp fall nights or whenever the […]