Spring is coming! It’s that time of year where we start thinking about sunshine, rainbows, and all kinds of spring eats! One of my favorite dishes to put on my table for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, is Rainbow Fruit Salad. As a mom, I love to get my kids eating more fruits and veggies. Even if they don’t like every fruit in this salad, they can pick out what they like and it gives them exposure to fruits they might not be into right now. Being a dietitian, I want my kids to like all foods. However, that isn’t realistic.
Are you a parent of a picky eater (or selective eater)? Don’t freak out! Just keep exposing them to different foods. Eventually, they may try it. If they don’t, that is okay too! It’s not your job to force them to eat. That will cause a lot of problems down the road. Your job is to provide what, when, and where to eat. Their job is to determine how much and whether they will eat it. I know, that’s tough. I have a picky eater but I never force him to eat everything on his plate or even force him to try something with a food rule, like “just one bite”. Please, don’t make meal time a battle ground! Meal time should be pleasant. If you make a fruit salad make sure that there is one fruit in it that they will eat. No battles required!
If you need some more ideas to eat the rainbow, check out my Over 40 Ideas to Eat the Rainbow!
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 large orange, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 - 15 ounce can pineapple chunks packed in 100% juice, drain and reserve the juice
- 1½ cups of sliced green grapes
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 small lime for juice and zest
- 1 tablespoon agave or honey
- Place all the fruit into a large bowl.
- Zest 1 lime and add to bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of pineapple juice and agave.
- Squeeze the zested lime over the fruit.
- Toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy eating the rainbow!
See how easy it is to make on my YouTube video! Subscribe if you head over!
What is your favorite way to eat the rainbow? Let me know!
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!