The temperature is dropping, and it’s time to warm up with this delicious Warm Kale Salad with Sweet Potato, Cranberries, and Pecans!
I can feel the holidays approaching which puts me in the mood for fall flavors. I also like to switch gears and warm up with some hearty salads! I had my first warm salad in Nashville, Tennessee, at a restaurant downtown. It was a warm spinach salad with fried goat cheese, and it was AMAZING! Spinach doesn’t go very far, but kale does when it’s warmed up. If you want another spin on a warm salad, you will LOVE my Brussels and Butternut Salad.
Kale is king when it comes to greens! While filled with nutrients, it’s a bit hard to chew raw. Kale is busting at the seams of Vitamins A, C, and K! It also has some Vitamin B6, Calcium, Potassium, Magnesium, and plenty of fiber. It doesn’t cook down to nothing when heated like spinach. When you cook it, remove it from the heat once it’s a shiny dark green.
Sweet Potatoes are not bowing down to any of the other potatoes. They are queen of nutrition bearing loads of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and manganese. They are also filled with B Vitamins, fiber, potassium, and copper.
Cranberries, filled with Vitamins C, E, K, manganese, copper, and loads of antioxidants that can aid in preventing UTI’s and stomach ulcers to name a few. You can find them in my Broccoli Salad with Dried Cranberries and Bacon.
Pecans are an excellent source of zinc and thiamin. They also boast manganese and copper. They add a natural sweetness and crunch to this salad.
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 bite sized pieces
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 large bunch of kale, torn into bite size pieces
- ⅓ cup pecans
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp olive oil + 2 teaspoons
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp cranberry juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pecans on a cookie sheet and toast about 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Turn oven temperature up to 400 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt to taste. Roast for 30 minutes. Pull out half way through cooking time to shuffle sweet potatoes. Return and cook until roasted.
- While sweet potatoes are roasting, prepare the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, cranberry juice, and honey. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium heat, place 2 teaspoons of olive oil in the pan.
- Add thinly sliced shallot and saute until translucent. Add kale to the pan with the onion and saute until until dark and bright green.
- Add sweet potatoes, cranberries, pecans, and vinaigrette to the pan. Toss until combined.
- Serve immediately.
What’s you favorite fall salad? Do you like kale?
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!
[…] Warm Kale Salad with Sweet Potato, Cranberries & Pecans […]