Blueberries are one of my favorite foods! Not only are they little plump balls of deliciousness, but they are low in calorie and high in nutrition. Since July is Blueberry Month and these little blue jewels are in season and on sale, I have been wanting to make something new for breakfast. These Blueberry Oat Bars are so yummy! I love the crumbly topping and sweetness of the fruit!
These Blueberry Oat Bars are little different from recipes you may see online. I like to puree my blueberries for this recipe. It stems from my childhood obsession of cereal bars that I like my fruit pureed in baked goods like this. My 9 year old daughter wanted the blueberries pureed as well but I still added just a few whole ones on top. Cooking and pureeing the blueberries is the first step in making this recipe. You will need to let it cool down before adding it to the crust.
To make the crust, I use gluten free baking flour. I adore Bob’s Red Mill! I have used others and this is by far my favorite. I also use Bob’s oat flour, gluten free old fashioned oatmeal, and flaxseed meal for this recipe. The old fashioned oats add some texture and fabulous fiber! It all gets bound together with some Earth Balance dairy free margarine to give it a buttery flavor.
After you press half of it into the pan and reserve the rest for the crumble, it’s time to add your blueberry puree and the few leftover blueberries. I am thinking of making the blueberry puree with ground chia seeds next time and leave out the flour.
I really could just stick my face in it without the crumble, but I would be missing the best part! All that blueberry goodness is ready to get covered up with the rest of the crumble.
I just can’t wait for it to be baked and cooled so I can dig in! They will cut better if you wait until they are cooled.
- Blueberry filling:
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- Juice of 1 large lemon (2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons gluten free baking flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 cup gluten free baking flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 8 tablespoons of melted dairy free margarine
- Wash and pat dry fresh blueberries.
- Set aside ½ cup of blueberries.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining blueberries, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Cook of medium low heat around 7-10 minutes or until the blueberries have burst and starting to bubble.
- Remove blueberries from heat and add vanilla extract and flour, Combine well.
- Using an immersion blender, blend blueberries until smooth and let cool. Place in the refrigerator if you want to make this further ahead of time.
- While the mixture cools, make the crust and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine and mix: oat flour, flax, baking powder, oats, sugars, and gluten free flour.
- Add melted margarine and combine. Use hands to fully combine into a crumble.
- Press half the mixture into a 9x9 pan with parchment.
- Top with blueberry puree and ½ cup leftover blueberries.
- Add remaining crumble on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into bars.
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!