You won’t have a boring breakfast with these Gluten Free and Dairy Free Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies!
I love spring! I love that the weather is cool yet warm! I love the flowers popping up! I also love the flavors of spring! In my mind, that means, carrot cake, coconut, and lemon based foods. The Recipe Redux theme this month was to use 3 ingredients in the pantry and come up with something healthy and delicious. I have been craving carrot cake and I always have oatmeal, maple syrup, and walnuts on hand. With my constant obsession with breakfast, these gluten free, dairy free Carrot Cake Breakfast Cookies are the perfect start to a spring day!
If you don’t have oat flour, I recommend putting old fashioned oats in your coffee grinder or food processor to make the flour. Oats are filled with soluble fiber, making them the perfect choice for a filling breakfast. The bananas add potassium, while the walnuts bring in some Omega 3’s. Carrots rock this spring and they bring Vitamin A to these delectable cookies.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely diced shredded carrots
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, mash the 2 bananas.
- Add egg, maple syrup, and vanilla extract to bananas and combine well.
- Add zest, carrots, coconut, and walnuts to the bananas and fold together.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop better onto baking sheet.
- Place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a baking rack.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
Cookies for breakfast?!!! YES, Please!
Check out what other Recipe Reduxers cooked up this month!
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!