Gluten free crepes are a part of my life since living in Europe. While I didn’t get to partake in as many as I wanted overseas, my kids certainly looked forward to them at every market we went visited. You could get any variety you wanted. Nutella was always a local favorite which my kids loved as well. I watched them eat their fair share, and I would patiently wait to go home and recreate them into a gluten and dairy free version. These gluten free and dairy free crepes are so easy and fun to make with the family. I recently bought a crepe maker so my kids love using the wooden utensils to make their own crepes. They get to put in different fruit fillings, like banana or blueberries. It’s fun to see what creations my kids invent.
Crepes are a great way to get in some fruit for breakfast! With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, I decided to make some strawberry crepes. Of course, they had to have some chocolate! The strawberries give breakfast a kick of Vitamin C and fiber. The yogurt filling adds some protein. You can use any type of yogurt you like, depending on your taste. Greek yogurt would have more protein content than regular yogurts. I personally have to use a dairy free yogurt that has very little protein. The great thing about recipes is that you can cater it to your own tastes and preferences.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of non dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp non dairy margarine
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup gluten free baking flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 4 containers of yogurt
- 3-4 cups of sliced strawberries
- ½ cup dairy free chocolate chips
- In a food processor, combine eggs, non dairy milk, margarine, sugar, and gluten free baking flour.
- Process until combined well. You want a thin consistency. (See notes below).
- Place the batter in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill.
- On the stove top, place a 6 inch Teflon skillet on medium heat.
- Spray with non stick cooking spray.
- Place around ⅛ cup of batter in the center of the skillet. Using a batter spreader, spread the batter evenly around the pan. It should be a thin layer. You can swirl the batter around the pan to distribute it evenly if you don't have a batter spreader.
- Cook crepe for 30-45 seconds.
- Using a wooden or heatproof spatula, gently unstick the edges of the crepe from around the pan.
- Slide the wooden or heatproof spatula under the center of the crepe and flip.
- Allow to cook 15-20 more seconds.
- Set aside to cool while you cook the remaining crepes.
- Spoon ¼ container of yogurt down the middle of each crepe.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of sliced strawberries over yogurt.
- When crepes are assembled, place chocolate chips in a glass microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir and microwave for 30 more seconds.
- Place extra strawberries over crepes and drizzle with hot chocolate.
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!
[…] Gluten-Free Crepes with Strawberry Yogurt Filling (GF) via Betsy’s Kitchen Table […]