If you eat gluten-free, a family get together can be challenging, especially when it comes to desserts. You can now buy gluten-free cake mixes from the supermarket, but they are not my favorite. This Gluten Free Flag Cake is so moist and delicious! It leaves a hint of lemon on your tongue that pairs well with the fresh fruit and topping. You can easily make this dairy free by using plant-based milk and dairy free topping. It’s so good not even your non gluten-free friends and family will know and ask for more!
Let’s talk about dry ingredients. My favorite gluten-free baking combination is Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour and Superfine Ground Almond Flour. There is something magical about it. I use this combo for cookies, pancakes, muffins and more. I have learned a few things baking gluten-free. I always use more baking powder because I get a better rise. I also use more eggs. It really helps with the structure, flavor, and tenderness of the cake. It’s important to note that not all baking powder is gluten-free. Rumford and Clabber Girl are two popular brands that are gluten-free.
For the wet ingredients, it’s really quite simple. Eggs, oil, vanilla, and milk form the base. Lemon zest is an added flavor punch that makes unforgettable and brings people back for more. When it comes to whipped topping, you can certainly make it from scratch which is my preference in the past. However, since I eat dairy free now, I use freshly whipped coconut cream or So Delicious Whipped Topping. It can be hard to find at regular supermarkets so you might want to check natural food stores.
- 1½ cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour
- 1 cup superfine almond flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- ½ cup milk or plant based milk
- Whipped Topping or Dairy Free Whipped Topping
- 1 small container of blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients with a whisk: gluten free baking flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add eggs and oil. Combine well.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Add ½ flour mixture and ¼ cup of milk to the mixing bowl. Combine on low.
- Add the rest of the flour and milk and mix until combined.
- Butter or oil a 3 qt casserole dish.
- Add cake batter.
- Bake for 27-32 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool on a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, add whipped topping of choice and add fresh fruit to look like the American Flag.
If you aren’t a cake fan, you may like my No Bake Strawberry Tart that is gluten-free and dairy free.
What dessert is on your menu this Fourth of July?
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!