Go pour yourself a glass of milk so you can dip these delicious Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies in it!
Nothing soothes my soul more than dipping a warm chocolate chip cookie into a cold glass of milk! I love it when some of the chunks of the cookie fall to the bottom and then I get to drink it all at the end. Am I the only one who does this? I can’t be!
Baking for Food Allergies
I came up with this chocolate chip cookie recipe for my neighbor who has multiple food allergies. The only difference with the one I am sharing with you is the egg. This recipe can use a flax egg in leiu of a regular egg if egg allergies are an issue. Use one tablespoon of ground flaxseed to 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 15 minutes before using in the recipe. This one change makes these cookies completely vegan.
My usual go to baking flour is Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour. I was completely out of it, but I did have some gluten free oatmeal flour in the pantry instead so I gave it a try. To make this recipe dairy free, I have used coconut oil and vegan palm shortening. Both work well and I really can’t tell a difference in either.
I have made Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies in the past, but they consisted of white flour or baking flour, adding old fashioned oatmeal at the end to give it texture. These chocolate chip cookies used all oatmeal flour. You can find this in most grocery stores. I use Bob’s Red Mill, but you can easily make your own by using a food processor with old fashioned oats. If you have issues with gluten, make sure you get gluten free old fashioned oats.
- 1½ cup gluten free oat flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil or palm shortening
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup dairy free gluten free chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the coconut oil or shortening with the granulated sugar and brown sugar. Use a hand mixer to combine well.
- Add the egg and vanilla.
- Add the chocolate chips and combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place a level scoop of dough on cookie sheet, repeating 9 more times.
- Place in oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Store in airtight container.
Combine 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. Let sit for 15 minutes before adding it to the cookie mixture.
See for yourself how easy it is to make!
Don’t forget to PIN IT for later!
Want some more chocolate ideas? Don’t miss these recipes:
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Bread
No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
Author: Betsy Ramirez
Betsy is a registered dietitian/nutritionist, homeschool mom, & fairy tale junkie, who loves getting crafty. Being on my bike and lifting weights are my therapy. Thinking outside the box is my jam!